Feel heart is going to pop out, shaky head and unable to move arms. Recommendations?

Several years ago I experienced this for the first time and had them a couple times a night and a ple of times a week. very speratic. Now I have them continually and just now I woke up just so they would stop. I wanted to go to the er but how would they diagnose anything when it happens only when falling asleep. I feel this swoosh feeling my heart feel likes its going to pop out of my chest , I feel my head shaking and i try to reach for help but cant move my arms. Just now it would happen over and over....i can hear around me and try to shake my head to wake up and my eyes roll around in my head. When I away, i m scared out of my mind. Worried my heart is going to build up blood from pumping so hard and cause a heart attack . I do have daytime anixiety and depression .
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms it appears that you are having a condition called "sleep paralysis". This is a type of sleep disorder, specifically called an REM sleep disorder. It is not dangerous at all but the experience can often be very frightening and cause a lot of distress to the person.

Sleep disorders are precipitated by stress, poor sleeping habits, alcohol or drugs, and sometimes due to psychiatric medication. You have mentioned that you have anxiety and depression, and these disorders are often associated with sleep abnormalities. So, I would suggest that you consult a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and further management.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist