Fatigue,low strength. Runner. Histroy of high energy levels. Any problem?

Hi, I am a runner and lately I have felt an odd fluctuation in my energy levels. Sometime I feel extremely weak, (This occurs most of the time) where I basically become fatigued and out of breath,my strength also seems to lessen. The rest of the time I feel just okay, where I am to perform at a decent level. Before this running season I felt great, my energy level was always high (Except for low iron, which I fixed since I take iron all the time). What could be the problem?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
  Anonymous's Response
Fatigue may be caused by electrolyte imbalances mainly due to magnesium deficiency. Assuming your age is adulthood I can suggest you to take tests for Serum electrolytes and check the levels. You had low iron which might have progressed to Anemia and thus you have weakness but your iron intake may not instantly correct the Anemia. Energy physiologically decreases with increase in age. Also check for your calcium, phosphorus, magnesium levels.
Have a Good Health.
General & Family Physician Dr. B. Vineet Mohan's  Response

Are you a long distance runner or a short distance runner? The type of running that you do is also important. You may have chronic fatigue syndrome. The most likely cause is that you are over training. You have to understand that resting your body is as important as working out.

Another thing that might be wrong is that you are not getting enough sleep. You might also not be taking sufficient calories and your body might be in negative calories. If you are a long distance runner, you easily need an extra 1000 calories for a 10 to 15 km run. I advise you to download a good book on running to know the appropriate diet for you. Also, If you do not have any chronic back pain or aching joints, it is unlikely that your condition is serious.

Dr Vineet