Fast heart rate, high pulse rate, bp normal. Reason for high pulse?

Today, I had a rather fast heart rate . I m very athletic (Runner, swimmer, cyclist) with a resting pulse of about 60-70. I was on my way to work and my heart rate was more noticeable and when i parked in the parking lot, i checked my pulse. It was at about 140. I went inside to check my blood pressure which turned out normal. Went to the doctors office right away and they performed an EKG witch turned out normal. I don t drink soda/energy drinks/coffee. Why could my pulse be so high?
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012