Fast heart rate. Will it lead to CHF, cardiomyopathy? Why do I have swollen feet?

Hi=) i m 17 years old and my heart rate is around 120 bpm. it has been this way for about a year now. My question is could a fast heart rate like mine untreated lead to CHF, cardiomyopathy?? Also, i have swollen feet and my heart gets a jumpy feeling too. Sometimes my pulse is 200 when im active. sorry nevermind, i thought it was free=(
Asked On : Thu, 27 Dec 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in. I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence. Let me assure you that heart rate of 120 does not lead to cardiomyopathy or congestive heart failure. Yes when you write about heart rate of 200 it concerns me you had to be investigated for the following:
1. Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia
2. Paroxysmal Supra ventricular Tachycardia
3. Intermittent Atrial Fibrillation
With or without abnormal thyroid function.
Best suggestion I can give you is to seek an appointment with a cardiologist who would thoroughly examine you and apart from ECG if needed would do the appropriate test. That would be reassuring to everyone that you do not have any illness. Let me remind you normally heart beats for about 100,000 times a day (72x60x24) and one percent of these beats could be out rhythm normally and most frequently some people who are more perceptive or sensitive can get disturbed by these normally 'abnormal beats'. Good Luck
Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover