Family history of obesity. Which tests diagnose PCOS? Have ovarian cysts

Female, 24 yrs old. Father: diabetic Grandparents & uncles: diabetic. Overweight since I was a baby. I ve always suffered from dandruff as long as I can remember. I first menstruate at 12, but suddenly stoped for a year. I had skin tags , acanthosis nigricans (still have).. My mother took me to the Gyn, made an unltrasound, prescribed pills & that was the end of the story for me. When I finished the pills I got obese, I was 226 pounds being just 15 yrs of age. I tried every diet possible & nothing seemed to work until I decided to just stop eating. I only ate one 100 cals bar per day and/or lettuce & lost 56 pounds in just a few months (then started eating normally). Now, I ve been strugling to lose more weight even if I try eating healthy, small portion meals. My hair is very thin, is falling a lot.. I can even see my hairs all over the floor... & have no sexual drive. I noticed hairs on my chin too. In a routine exam, my results said I had 9 cysts on my left ovary & one about 5cm in my right ovary. I m really concerned looking for info online & most if not all the symptoms on PCOS apply to me. I went to a new Gyn & he said I ll just prescribe you treatment for 3 months & we ll see if it helps , but I asked him for blood tests to be done to see if I have PCOS. Trusting him, I went to the lab, had my blood samples taken & when I arrived home I checked on the labs asked for the Gyn & NONE of them were androgens, lipids, glucose &/or thyroid function. All he asked was FSH, LH, DHEA & Estradiol . Now I wonder if he knows what PCOS is?? & if just by having those results it can be diagnosed?? I read on the internet that the other tests I mentioned are important too to achieve a diagnose?? Also, if you can tell me if 5 cm cysts are possible to regress with pills?? I’d like to know what’s best for me. P.S.- My husband says I m driving him crazy, but I think there s something wrong & my doc is not managing my situation as he should be. Thanks for listening when nobody else wants!!
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  38 Awaiting Answer