Extremely high protein count in urine samples. Suffering from anaemia, excessive sweating. What else could it be?

My husband s physician is concerned about his extremely high protein count in urine samples taken over 3-4days time period. Other very prominent (some long-term) symptoms include anemia (his diet is good - he was surprised at anemia diagnosis; little tolerance to heat, e.g., mowing grass for 15 or so minutes causes EXTREME sweating, body becomes very hot with MAJOR fatigue lasting for hours (until body cools down) - this has been happening for several years; near zero energy level - lethargy is CONSTANT; skin coloring is dull , i.e., not extreme paleness but not much color to skin; very ill-tempered if energy must be exerted (routine household chores, e.g., mowing grass, vacuuming, everyday chores; history of excess alcohol/drug use for 30+ years (drinking/drug use has ceased for 2-3 years); has developed cough which lasts approximately 15-20 minutes after very little exertion; extreme reaction to slightest emotional upset; has had severe and sometimes debilitating pain down his left leg for several years (his description - I do not know if the pain is a muscle-type pain or stabbing-type pain); his mouth stays really irritated, burning sensation (this has apparently been a symptom for several years; has chronic joint/muscle pain. Was referred to nephrologist last week after his physician discovered extremely high protein level in urine - when I asked what did your doc say levels were, his reply was I think she said 260 or maybe 360 (he does not care to know details ) but did make appointment with nephrologist which tells me he is concerned. His memory has decline somewhat which causes him extreme irritation (he has expressed some concern because his father s father had Alzheimer s disease.) He is 66 y/o, not overweight; sees a cardiologist yearly as precaution since his father died of cardiac arrest at approximately age 76 (I do not know his exact age when death occurred). My husband does not share what he and his cardiologist discuss. Questions for you, please - what other symptoms/complaints should I, as his spouse, notice or ask him about? We see our physician together - I, at his request, sometimes remind him of the symptoms he wants to talk to physician about. Are there specific symptoms/questions I should remind him to ask physician in order to enable her to better diagnosis or make referrals? Thank you for your suggestions and helpful information.
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013