Extra tissue, flap inside vaginal opening. Is this normal?

Ok so I ve never been to a gynecologist , and looking at myself down there for the first time, I noticed that inside my vaginal opening (no not labia ) there was extra tissue and flaps of skin. I m really freaked out because on yahoo answers they said it could be cancer . Is this normal? I ve put in tampons, so I know that it s not my cherry. What is it? Is it normal? And how can I make it go away? I m at the age where I should start to become sexually active and it s embarrassing.
Asked On : Sat, 22 Dec 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

Please do not be so scared. This is not likely to be cancer.

It is most likley a remanant left behind during the development of the female reproductive organs. Another reason may be a partial vaginal septum, again a disorder of development. These are not uncommon and can be easily treated.

A third cause may simply be folds of vagina that you may be misinterpreting as abnormal.
Please see your gynecologist and get an evaluation and proper diagnosis.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist