External hemorrhoid, painful to walk, no bleeding. Will it heal on its own?

Hello, I m currently going through an external hemorrhoid phase and it s been extremely painful having to walk, sit and even sleep. I haven t experienced bleeding , however the area is swollen and painful to even touch. I ve been cleaning it with water, not wiping as hard as I normally would and have been avoiding my daily jogging. There has been mixed feelings regarding exercise through some of my research on external hemorrhoids . Should I wait a few days to see if it ll heal on its own or is consulting my family doctor a better idea? And if I were to wait, do you recommend certain sleeping positions to alleviate some of the pain and home remedies?
Asked On : Wed, 31 Oct 2012