Explanation of sheering as a part of brain injury?

Could you explain sheering as part of a brain injury I recently siffered. On Aug 10, 2012 I fell very hard off my horse at a horse show held outdoors. They said I hit very hard. I had an Engllish jumping helmet on complete with headhgear and chinguard. I slid undear or through the arena boards for another 20+ feet . My helmet came off after the inidial fall. No one understands how it came off still done up and on seclearly. I stopped breathing when I fell, and went into acoma. I was on life support for over a week and my first short memory was on my birthday, Sept. 6, 2012. I only have 3-4 partial memories until I was transfered to the Nova Scotia Rehab Hospital around the beginning of Oct., 2012. Doctors told my husband it would take 6 months to a year before I would make it to the Rehab Hospital, but I was out of the NS Rehab the first week of Nov., 2012. They said I suffered sheering and some bleeding on both sides, mostly the right side, of my brain. The left side of my body doesn t feel like it is mine. I can walk with a walker most of the time but have very little feeling from above my knee down, and often in my left hand. The whole left side of my body doesn t feel right and I have fallen quite a few times due to weakness, balance, and lack of control on my left side. I also broke my inear pelvis on the right and a brake on the left side of my lower tailbone ? or lower spine on the left. Neither brake needed to be treated because they weren t out of place . They just found out that my double vision in my right eye is caused by the uneven surface of my right cornea? My left hit and the top of my leg around the groin are hurting and cramping up more now than before, and the front and right side of my head has been hurting, sometimes severely, for the last few days. I have only eaten once in the last5-6 days and have bearly drunk anything because I don t feel like it and it makes me feel sick. I have also been losing control of my bowels for the last 5-6 days. Can you explain anything to me. it has taken me over 30-40 min, to type this because I keep making mistakes. My memory has alos been getting worse the last few daysl
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
SHEARING AS A PART OF BRAIN INJURY IS THE MAIN CAUSE OF DIFFUSE AXONAL INJURY.SHERAINGFORCES CAUSE IMMEDIATE MECHANICAL CAUSES TO AXONS.oVER THE NEXT 48 HOURS FURTHER DAMAGE RESULTS FROM RELEASE OF EXCITOTOXIC NEUROTRNSMITTERS WHICH CAUSE CALCIUM INFLUX INTO CELLS AND TRIGGERR PHOSPHOLIPID CASCADE.BASED ON SEVERITY THE EFFECTS MAY RANGE FROM MILD COMA TO DEATH.MEMORY DISTURBANCES MAY ALSO OCCUR DUE TO INJURY TO TEMORAL LOBES,OR HIPPOCAMPUS ETC IN SEVERE HEAD INJURY.BOWEL DISTURBANCES MAY BE DUE TO HYPOTHALAMIC DISTURBANCES.