Expired birth control patch, effective?

Hello, currently I am using the birth control patch . I have now been on it for about 5 months. I ordered new prescriptions April 13 and currently I am concerned. I am becuase on the front to the patch packet I seen it said the patch expired April 16 and today is the 17th. On Monday was the first day again to put on the patch, but it is expired now. Will it do any effect? Is the expire date a year or day?
Asked On : Sat, 21 Apr 2012

Welcome to HCM

I can very well understand your concern, but a day after the expiry date would not do any difference. Expiry date would not make the drug ineffective right away. Rather what it means is that the the drug after the expiry date will gradually (remember gradually not suddenly) will start losing its potency and efficacy over time but a difference of one day should not make any difference at all. It's actually the cut off limit mentioned by the pharmaceutical companies for a variety of reasons best known to them.

I also do somewhat agree to what Dr Gregory Khan has written that April 17 could be that the drug expires in 2017 because of the reason that different countries have differences in the way units are measured.

So I would recommend you to take the medicine packet/strip and consult your doctor even if the drug is expected to expire in 2017. Or you can also let us know where did you purchase the medicine and how exactly is the date of expiry mentioned on it.

This would help relieve your anxiety and help you concentrate better on your priorities.

Thanks and hope this helps

Addiction Medicine Specialist Dr. Gregory Khan - Arthur's  Response
If all it says is April 17, it likely means it expires 2017. Either way a month or two after the expiration date shouldn't make a HUGE difference in how it works. The best person to ask is the pharmacist. However from what you're saying, I think your patches haven't actually expired yet.