Experiencing severe heartburn. Got relief with zantac. Prescribed Tecta 40 mg. Will it be effective?

Hi , I have been experiencing heartburn to the point I can t sleep, it seems to be right where the ribs meet at the top, in my diaphram. I have recently been on a prescription for clav 500/125mg for possibly pneumonia , and just wondered what the difference between Zantac 150mg and which I was buying at the drugstore that relieved the pain, and Tecta 40 mg that the clinic Dr. put me on this morning was? Will it work the same way and give me relief? Thank you, Debbie
Asked On : Wed, 17 Oct 2012

Thank you for the query.

You are probably suffering from acid reflux or peptic ulcer. This condition is quite common in our population. It`s main reason is increased stomach acid secretion due to wrong diet, stress, Helicobacter Pylori infection and many others. The most common symptoms of it are heartburn, nausea, vomiting, stomach ache. This condition is very often associated with asthma that is why coughing can be present as well.
Zantac and Tecta both do block acid secretion in the stomach. They just has different destined receptor in stomach cells. That is why both do relieved the pain.
You should be aware that before treatment you should be diagnosed with upper GI endoscopy with Helicobacter Pylori test. Only after this examination proper treatment can be ordered. If you will find you stomach infected by Helicobacter Pylori antibiotics therapy will be advisable as well.
You should also have abdominal ultrasound performed to rule gall stones out and fool blood work with liver and pancreas tests.
Always when the heartburn appears, heart condition should be checked as well. Heart ECG should be performed as well.

Hope this will help.