Experiencing palpitations. Tests show heart normal. Increased heart beats, faintiness. What could it be?

Hello, I have been experiencing palpitations and other symptoms over the last 2 years. I have done Holter tests, checked my heart in many doctors, the answer is always the heart is fine! It does happen though frequently, that I feel streams of blood(?),air(?) running from my stomach or the part below my heart and when it happens my heartbeat accelerates to 120-140 and I am feeling I will faint out....any suggestions of what the problem could be if it s not heart related? Many thanks
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is better to stick to one specialist and get investigated / than seeing several doctors.

Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG).
HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) is done to analyse and plan for further management, if a routine ECG does not show...

ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).
     TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow).
     LABORATORY work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular), thyroid (over-active) and so on.

If there are no clues and if the problem is still bothering to the extent of interfering with life style, there are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity – Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and has a risk (though minimal) and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck