Experiencing back pain, swelling. Pain under rib cage. All tests normal. Possible reason?

For about two weeks, my mother has been experiencing back pain in her right middle back as well as pain in her side/front under her rib cage. She has been to the doctor a few times and all of the tests have come back clean. The pain was a little better for about a week, but tonight she started complaining about it again. The same symptoms, only this time I noticed that her right middle back was a little swollen. Any ideas on what s going on?
Asked On : Wed, 17 Oct 2012