Experienced on and off discomfort from hemorrhoids, pain in perineum, swelling. Will I be okay?

I have experienced on and off discomfort from hemorrhoids since birthing my son a year ago. Recently I ve experienced pain from my perineum and discovered a small bulge or swelling there. Could this be caused by an internal hemorrhoid? I saw a gastroenterologist who made it seem like my concerns were silly, and while he offered to do a colonoscopy I left the office with a certainty that he thought my concerns were unfounded as, everyone has hemorrhoids he said.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013