Experienced face numbness followed by intense pain that started with ascent of airliner and lasted till the final minutes. Cause?

I was minutes into ascent of airliner..suddenly my left side of my mouth became numb, quickly followed by the entire left side of my face. Once numbness had taken over the left side of my face..including teeth and gums..intense pain followed. The pain so debilitating I could barely keep my dignity on the flight.The numbness and pain lasted until the final minutes of the 2 hour flight. What could cause this scary symptoms?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013