Excruciating lower leg pain only at night, starts from knee and settles at ankle and foot. No relief with OTC medicines. How can It be cured?

Doctor. I am a 78 year old male. For the past six months I have been having excruciating lower leg pain at night only. It is from the knee down and seems to have settled in the ankle and foot . Some nights it is in one leg and the next night the other leg. It will pull the foot inward. I have to get up and lean on the dresser until it becomes tolerable enough to rest the foot on the floor. I have tried all kinds of OTC meds to n avail. It is unbearable. It will last from 15 minutes ti 1/2 hour.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Jun 2012