Excessive pain in the jaw that extends to the ear after tooth extraction. No relief with painkillers. What can I get rid of it?

Three days ago I got a decayed tooth pulled that already had a crown. The tooth broke during extraction and the dentist had to do extra drilling and pulling to get the entire tooth. Since I have had pain in my gums which I expected but I have had severe pain in my jaw that runs all the way up to my ear. Do you think the dentist could have pulled or ripped my jaw muscle during the extraction? The pain I feel is debilitating, I cannot find relief... the pain killers that were prescribed does nothing to help. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to get relief and sleep again.
Asked On : Mon, 23 Jul 2012