Ex-smoker, had an episode of breathing difficulty which eased on kneeling, later had coughing fit. Possible causes?

Hi - I woke up with a start at 5am not able to breathe. I m not sure if I was lying on my front or my back. I had to sit/kneel and then actually get out of bed before I was able to get a proper breath. I had a bit of a coughing fit afterwards, but returned to bed. My heart was never racing at all. This has happened a one or twice before, but the difficulty getting breath was worse this time. I am borderline overweight/obese but exercise regularly - 3/4/5 times a week and eat healthy, freshly cooked food 5/6times a week. I m 32 years old, ex-smoker (sometimes I have a few ciggies when I drink though) but generally of pretty good health. I m sure a general checkup is in order, and I plan to have one. I guess I d just like to know what may have caused this?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Oct 2012