Episodes of extreme pain in skull, explodes and spread. Leaves immobilized, distorted, black vision. Cause?

For a couple of weeks I have had on and off episodes. When moving my head from side to side, simply getting the hair out of my eyes, I have experienced extreme, sharp pain that starts at the base of my skull a few inches behind my left ear and it shoots to the top of my skull and explodes and spreads. The episodes last only a couple of seconds but during that time I am imobilized and have a sudden distorted and sometimes black second or two of vision . What could be the cause?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013