the chance of birth defect
is 5-6%. This is mainly due to side effects of your Anti-epileptic drug and decrease level of folic acid
, so you should take some precaution for your baby. That includes--
1. You are now taking TEGRITAL CR 750 which contains CARBAMAZEPINE
. Mainly 4 drugs are used in this condition.
divided dose may be more helpful, just go to your neurologist
and consult one more time about the drug and its dosage. Nothing to worry.
2. Folic acid is very important and you are already taking this adequately. Just never stop it. So no concern in this point.
3. At 16 weeks a prenatal diagnosis
with SERUM AFP should done.
4. Detailed fetal anatomy scan at 18th weeks.
5. Vitamin K orally in last 2 weeks.
6. Diet- no difference due to epilepsy just same like any other pregnant women-
a)Milk and dairy products: skimmed milk, yogurt/curd, buttermilk , cottage cheese (paneer). These foods are high in calcium, protein and Vitamin B-12.
b)Vegetables and fruits: these provide vitamins, minerals and fibre.
c)Meat, fish and poultry: these provide concentrated proteins.
d)Fluids: Drink lots of fluids, especially water and fresh fruit juices. Make sure you drink clean boiled or filtered water.
e)Fats and oils: Ghee, butter, coconut milk and oil are high in saturated fats, which are not very healthy. AVOID these, better source of fat will be vegetable oil.
Thats all you need to do.
Best of luck.