Enlarged vein on wrist, itching, bruise. History of swollen veins, sudden bruising. Causes?

I was doing some rigorous housework the other day and noticed that a fairly large vein on the inside of my wrist became enlarged, bulgy and very itchy. The symptoms went fairly quickly but I m left with a bruise which is about 4 cm long and about 3 cms wide. What has caused the swollen vein and subsequent bruising? I have had this condition several times in my life and something similar on my elbow which resulted in a very large bruise (covered my whole elbow). Thanks.
Asked On : Tue, 25 Dec 2012