Enlarged thyroid, knots on neck, soft to the touch. Should I be worried?

I have a protruding or enlarged thyroid and about three years ago I notice a couple of knots by my neck but between my collarbone when I ask my doctor he said some people have those it s nothing to worry about but the have gotten bigger and are soft to the touch and since these have appeared I have gain weight I weigh more now than I did when I had my son I have never been a big person should I be worried and what kind of tests should I have done
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012