End stage lung cancer, had bowel cancer, oxygen level is low. What can we expect now?

My father has end stage lung cancer .(secondary to previous bowel cancer ) he is on 40% oxygen as his oxygen levels were as low as 78 on Friday. He is still up, just not moving far. (10 litres per minute) He asked what would happen if he suddenly couldn t breath. Every movement is tough so it is crossing his mind more and more. What can I expect and how would I deal with it? I would hate for the oxygen not to work and be in a situation of panic as that would be terrifying for him. i have talked to him about breathing exercises and relaxing etc. He is still at home where we would obviously like him to stay if he continues to be comfortable. Can you give me some brutal idea of what to expect. I know what is coming but I would like to be quietly prepared so I can help him as much as possible in the absence of anyone else etc. (he is 78) Thank you E.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013