End-stage liver failure. Nausea, lack of appetite, wasting. Precautions?

My 55 yo son has end-stage liver failure . He recently completed the medication regimen to eradicate his Hep-C, and last couple of lab results show no discernible trace of Hep C . He has an appointment at UAB on Tuesday for his three-day workup prior to being placed on the liver transplant list. He has continued to decline, suffers almost daily with nausea , lack of appetite , wasting. Today his thigh-high edematous legs began to weep. I have cleaned them well and wrapped them with absorbant gauze , and elevated them above the level of his heart. I will try in the morning to put on compression stockings after - hopefully - some of the swelling decreases. If I am unable to do so, should I wrap them with ACE bandages, and if so, what pattern, fig 8 or circle up? The trip to UAB is about 4 hrs. What precautions should I take when driving him there? Thanks so much - this is the hardest thing I ve had to do in my 76 years!
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012