Emergency C-section delivery, popped babies spine on delivery. What does this mean?

My sister delivered a newborn yesterday, she originally was a vaginal birth but the shoulders would not come out. The babies head was completely delivered for approximately 2 hours at which time they decided they were going to have to do a c section. When pulling the baby babies head back through the birth canal, they popped the babies spine . My sister has not been able to see or hold the baby since she was born. My question is what exactly does that mean that the babies spine popped .
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012