Elevated liver enzymes. No fatty liver disease. Should I check for other types of hemochromatosis?

I had elevated liver enzymes ( AST 39, ALT 98) so my doctor ordered a number of blood exams ( acute hep, iron TIBC and ferritin, hepatic function, GGt, ANA IFA screen, HIV AB, HIV 1/2). Everything came back normal ( AST down to 20, ALT down to 26) except for total iron- 179 and % saturation at 53%. Iron binding capacity was 338 and Ferritin was 128. Also had an ultrasound of my liver to rule our fatty liver disease , which we did. My doctor thought I could have hemochromatosis , so we checked the HFE gene and it came back that I do not have type and I am not a carrier. My doctor said sometimes fluctuations occur and that I have nothing to worry about since Iron and % saturation are near normal. We will check blood ( hepatic, iron, Ferritin, and TIBC) in a few months. I m a 26 year old male and don t take vitamin supplements or medicines that affect liver function. Do you think I should check for other types of hemochromatosis? Should I see a specialist ( my doctor was not familiar with other types of hemochromatosis)? Thanks
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013