Elevated creatinine levels, breathlessness, extreme exhaustion. History of diabetes. Treatment?

My wife s mother has been suffering from diabetes for the last 24 years. Recently her tests have shown an elevated creatinine level (around 1.6, I think). Of late, since last week or so, she is suffering from extreme breathlessness, climbing stairs is a big problem - even slight exertion on level is creating exhaustion. What could be the reason for this please? She is doing the routine urine test. Email: YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Fri, 17 Aug 2012