Elevated blood sugar level even after regular insulin, planning for cataract operation. How can it be stabilized?

my mother has been on insulin for 8 months . She had problem with her PANCREAS some time back and thats when the blood sugar levels reached absurd levels of 550+. Thats when insulin started. It has been controlled to a larger extent but even now her FASTING SUGAR IS 160-200.There are rare occassions when it reaches 100-120. And PP levels are 200-300. We want to stabilize to the ideal levels as want to get her operated upon for cataract . Kindly suggest.
Asked On : Mon, 23 Jul 2012