Elevated WBC due to pneumonia. On levaquin. What is the cause for this?

My husband was dx d with pneumonia on the 19th of January and admitted to the hospital because of an increasing wbc . Thurs it was 19k and on Friday it was 31k. He spent 3 days in the hospital on Levaquin and continued 4 doses of Levaquin orally for a total of 7 doses. When discharged his wbc was 19k. He felt better and appeared to be improving. He went for follow with primary on Monday and had a wbc of 29k . He was given a penicillin orally and told that he would be referred to an infectious disease doctor. My questions i what could be causing this? He feels better but we are very worried.
Asked On : Sun, 3 Feb 2013