Elevated LDL, HDL, plaque build up in carotid artery, advised lipitor. Do I need medicines?

Hi there. I just found out that my LDL is 145 and my HDL is 54. I just had a ultra sound of the carotoid artery and it showed slight plaque build up. I do not eat red meat or pork (I eat a heavy fish and vegetable diet and do three day juice cleanses every 2 weeks) and I have lost 20 pounds over the last 5 years. Despite the weight loss (i am 45 years old, weigh 150 and am 5 4 ) and semi active lifestyle my numbers keep climbing. My doctor is suggesting Lipitor . Do I really need medication?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013