Elevated GGT levels. Taking omeprazole. What to do?

Dear Dr my GGT level is 169 currently it was 120, 6 months back, Besides this I have raised SGPT =60 and my ANA test is positive. I am social drinker(usually what do you advise me?
Shirka , from Ethiopia
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Positive ANA test demands further investigation for auto-immune disease.
Impaired liver enzymes could be a part of that picture...

Hepatic viruses have to be investigated - qualitative first, if necessary, quantitative estimation.
Alcohol should be stopped - immediately, completely and permanently

At times. liver biopsy may be necessary
Discuss with your Hepatologist...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
General Surgeon Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein's  Response
Apr 2013
Its elevation is common found in many disorders must most usualy is alcoholic, viral, autoimmune or toxic liver damage. The most common liver disorders is fatty liver which can be found in healthy people, but usually is resulting from elevated blood lipids, overweight and elevated blood sugar. If ultrasounds didnt find anything and viral markers are negative then you have no reason to be concerned. YOu should treat it by changing dietary and lifestyle habbits. Do exercise, avoid alcohol,smoking, fats,fast food and carbonated drinks. Eat more fruit and vegetables, boiled meat and follow some of hepatoprotective diets. Findings usually improves on such measures. If not, then some medicines can be presribed, but I suggest to go step by step. ANA positve is nonspecific finding but it can be marker of some autoimmune disease, including autoimmune hepatitis. Also some thyroid and joints issue so just be caotious if you have any symptoms from this sides.
Wish you good health.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Omer's  Response
An isolated elevation in serum GGT or a GGT elevation out of proportion to that of other enzymes (such as the alkaline phosphatase and alanine aminotransferase) may be an indicator of alcohol abuse or alcoholic liver disease . The reasons for this are not well understood. Although hepatic microsomal GGT may be induced by alcohol . alcohol may cause the leakage of GGT from hepatocytes
If your ana is positive with elevated alt and ggt think of autoimmune diseases , in your case that are:

Drug LE

so you need to go to a rheumatologist to test for above diseases and get you better.     Social drinking with less than 3 glass is fine for some one who doesnot has autoimmune disease,but in your case ill not advise anything that damages your liver more who already as so many enemies in your case..Rest in upto you
take care