How to take care of superficial burns (first or second degree)?
* Immerse the affected area in cold
or running water until the pain subsides.
* Do not apply ice or cold water for too long.
* Do not break any blisters that have formed.
* Avoid applying antiseptic sprays, ointments
, creams. Once dried, dress the area with a single layer of loose gauze that does not stick to the skin.
* Keep the affected part higher than the rest of the body, if possible.
* Consult the doctor if there are signs of infection (e.g., fever
of 100 degrees F or higher, chills
, increased redness
, swelling or pus in the affected area) or if the burn shows no sign of improvement after two days.
What are the guidelines to prevent burns?
* Smokers should carefully dispose off cigarettes stubs. Cigarettes are a common cause of fires.
* Keep match-boxes and cigarette lighters away from children.
* Allow children to play with fireworks only with close adult supervision.
* Never d