Edema on face, lips, purplish discoloration. Can it be treated?

My brother has high blood pressure, congestive heart failure and chronic kidney disease . He frequently gets edema in his left hand. However, several days ago the edema extended to the left side of his face and lips and was extreme. Subsequent to taking a dose of lasik the swelling began to subside and his face and lip is back to normal. But, in the center of his bottom lower lip there is a purplish discoloration that extends from his lip to his gums. Is this something serious and can it be treated?
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012