Edema in lower legs, ankles, forearms, weight gain, brittle hair and nails, dry skin, hand tingling, dizziness. Diagnosis?

I have edema in my lower legs, ankles, forearms, face, and hands.I even can see and feel my mid section thicken. These all wax and wain from day to day some places different days or lingering in the same for days. I have had blood work done: tsh 1.77, t4 1.0, echo fine, ANA 1:80 and 4weeks later 1:160. Rhuematologist said no significant symptoms to call for further tests. I have gained 15-20 in less than a year no real change to routine or eating, dry brittle hair and nails , dry skin , tingling in right hand- sometimes feet, muscle aches in shoulder - no cause, ringing in my ears, foggy thinking at times, edema in legs is pitted and impressions can last over 45 minutes, dizziness randomly for just a spinning room for a moment, can cry easy but not all the time...Drs just want to say its idiopathic edema and be done. I am frustrated. I thought the symptoms could be the result of hypothyroid. but all I am given is 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide. I still have the swelling as much as an extra 1 1/4 in my ankles that comes and goes along with arms, hands, face, & abdomen.. I have read about undiagnosed hypo and hoshimotos. Wondering if I should persue finding someone to treat thyroid or treat on my own with suppliments? What do I do? where do i go from here?
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013