Echocardiography report says, Large ASD measuring 13 mm. What does it mean?

Hello Doctor , I want some Suggestion from You that my brother is attacked by heart disease . He is 4 years old. Echocardiography reports that Large ASD measuring 13 mm . What Should I do for cure my brother heart? The Doctor said that he need to be open hear surgery . Please give us some advise.
Asked On : Thu, 29 Apr 2010
Hello.Welcome.There is a large hole in the atrial septa and this can be repaired by surgery only.Your doctor's advice is correct.It is a recommended procedure to close the defect in children below 10 years of age.Complications are pulmonary hypertension,heart failure and respiratory infections.Good luck.