Echo shows mildly dilated atrium. Meaning? How can damage be minimised?

I just had an Echo done and the report reads A transthoracic echocardiogram had shown normal left ventricular cavity dimensions and wall thickness with good overall wall function and no obvious regional wall motion abnormalities at rest. The left atrium was mildly dilated. There are no valular lesions. What does mildly dilated left atrium mean and what can I do to minimise damage and if possible, to repair the situation? I am 74 years of age and of Indian origin.
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013