Eaten big chunk of sandwich without swallowing. Throat irritation. Smoker. Your thoughts?

Hello. I was eating dinner last night and I took a bite out of a sandwich that was too big without chewing it sufficiently. It hurt at the time as the food was traveling down my esophagus . Since then, my throat has been irritating me immensely. Also, I smoked a few cigarettes afterward. I don t know this contributed to the pain. Your thoughts?
Asked On : Sat, 10 Nov 2012
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There is lightly mild trauma to the esophagus which resulted from the large portion of food. It is true,as you suggested , that cigarette smoking would irritate the esophagus along with other structures.

This inflammation should resolve on its own after a few days. It would be best to use soft , non spicy or acidic foods till then.
Anti inflammatory pain killers such as ibuprofen, cataflam may help with the pain.

I hope this helps