Earache followed by weird hearing, echo, slight ringing. Suggestions for relief?

Hello, last Wednesday I got an earache in the evening, It lasted from about 9pm to 1am and it really hurt, then after that my hearing was weird, almost a slight echo. Since then my ear has had a slight ringing. I went to the university health center yesterday who looked in my ears and said that there was no build up of wax and my eardrums were fine and told me to try balance the ears by holding my nose and blowing. I tried this but it is still ringing.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013