Ear pain, have silver and grey crust in ear. Had canal wall down surgery months ago. Cause?

I had a canal wall down surgery 2 months ago. Part of my mastoid bone was removed. I started having pain in that ear yesterday. My husband looked in it and said it looks silver, my daughter looked in it and said a gray color. I will call my ENT in the morning, but it is driving me nuts not knowing what it is? Guess it doesnt matter I can wait until tomorrow as I wont have to pay my doctors office for the phone call.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013