Ear ache, blocking during travel, swollen ear lobes and difficulty in hearing. Worrisome?

Hi Dr. My brother travelled from Korea to London yesterday and in the stopover he contacted me saying that his ears were aching and one of them has got blocked and he couldn t hear properly with that ear. He also noticed both his ear lobes swollen. He has travelled often but this is the first time he has encountered such a problem. We are very worried. What can be the cause of swollen ear lobes and is it something serious. please respond urgently. thanking u.
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012