EKG showing a mild leakage in the mitral valve, have murmur. How to prevent this from getting worse?

yesterday I asked the doctor that my doctor heard a slight murmur which I never was told from my previous doctor of 12 years unfortunately he retired that I had a murmur. I was shocked to hear and was worried. I had a echocardiogram and showed I have a mild leak in my mitral valve . The doctor that answer made me feel so much better and positive. I forgot to ask him how can I prevent it from getting worse.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013