EKG pre-operation for cervical discectomy showed possible heart attack. What does it indicate?

I just recently had a cervical discectomy and infusion, on my pre-op my ekg said patient possibly had a heart attack . I told nurse that was nt right so she waited a few minutes a repeated it twice again. It still didn t show normal but those two times not as bad as first one, she said tha anethesiologist said the last two could have been my blood pressure medicine. I have a cardiologist and he just did the heart cath that is done by like a mri machine in dec 2011 and he said everything was fine, so I don t know what to think!! Can you help me??
Asked On : Fri, 15 Feb 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi there,

When a professional interprets an ECG saying that you possibly had a heart attack in the past means that he found "Q" waves in the ECG, but Q waves which represent heart attack has characteristic appearance (based on criteria) which distinguishes them from "normal Q" waves.
If your Coronary Angiography was normal, that means your risk of having had a heart attack is way too far (until and unless your heart attack was precipitated by "Vasospasm = prinzmetal angina, or you have Syndrome X).
Abnormal Q waves can also be found in the following conditions without coronary artery disease;
1- Hypertensive heart disease
2- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
3- Nonischemic Cardiomyopathy
4- Asymmetric septal hypertrophy

to exclude these possibilities follow two steps

1- Echocardiography
2- Exercise Stress Test

For any queries do not hesitate to ask

Dr. Haseeb Ashraf