ECG:MI(lateral), left ventr. hypertrophy, left anterior hemiblock, left axis deviation, T-wave near baseline (lateral,inferior), -small positive T wave (anterior), -S waves up to V6, abnormal ECG

Hi, sir i am a 21 year old boy who recenty had an ecg test required for medical assessment by the company which i am about to join. The ECG report says that -probably MI(lateral) -suspected left ventr. hypertrophy -left anterior hemiblock -left axis deviation -T-wave near baseline (lateral,inferior) -small positive T wave (anterior) -S waves up to V6 -probably abnormal ECG Do this means that my ECG report is not adequate and will i be rejected by the company.
Asked On : Tue, 22 May 2012
Welcome to Health Care Magic.

I have gone through ECG report. All the findings mentioned go in favor of lateral wall MI . But it is highly unlikely in your case that you had Myocardial Infarction ( Heart attack is the generally used term). Left ventricular hypertrophy is suggestive of Hypertension. All these findings are usually not seen in your age unless you had a congenital heart disease. I dont think you had any such problem.I would recommend you to repeat the ECG. If you have had moved or had metal n your body( watch or coins or ornaments) or the leads are placed wrongly by the technician, then the ECG would show such abnormality.

Dont worry. As far the present ECG report is concerned it is abnormal and you would be rejected.Do not worry.Repeat the ECG once again. I am very much sure that comes out normal. Please follow the above mentioned instructions ( do not move , remove all the metallic things from your body ).

If the repeat ECG also gives same findings, please see a physician or a Cardiologist and take his advice. Hope you dont need to see a doctor.

Wish you all the very best.
Stay Healthy and Take Care

Cardiologist Dr. Anil Grover's  Response
Hi Rahul,

I am a cardiologist and usually ignore what computerized report of EKG say. As it can not be all wrong, it appears that you have Left Ventricular Hypertrophy (left axis deviation & Left anterior hemiblock both can be part of it) causes in your age will be either of two 1. High Blood Pressure which can be asymptomatic 2. Left ventricular Outflow tract obstruction a) at valvular level Aortic Stenosis(narrowing of the valve connecting your left ventricle to Aorta or sub valvular as in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Both can be without symptoms initial stages. Why it is reporting myocardial infarction puzzles me. You ought to be examined by a medical specialist and a final opinion needs to be formed. Perhaps you requires echocardiography Doppler examination. Perhaps, all is well except hypertension, that is no bar for not being able to join any company.

Do let us know if you have follow up
Good of you for writing in.

Dr Anil Grover