During period have pain in stomach. USG showed ovary smoothly marginated and thick walled. Help?

Hi i am 36 year old. During cycle period I have pain in right side of stomach . USG report says Right Ovary in size (Measures 2.8 x 3.5 cm) and shows a well circumscribed smoothly marginated thick walled showing distal acoustic enhancement with reticular type pattern containing internal echoes and inter digitating septations, however no obvious vascularity within the lesion noted. What does its mean. Is it serious? Is it curable. Please advise me
Asked On : Tue, 7 Aug 2012
Mar 2014
Thanks for choosing HCM.
I have reviewed your case and it seems that the ovary is having a multilocular cyst. This is a routine occurrence in Obgyn practice.

There are a few things that are important in relation to ovarian cysts:
1. The size of the cyst. Small cysts less that 5-6cm are considered to be simple and may occur due to hormonal imbalances. Most of them disappear after one or two menstrual cycles. Cysts larger than this size need more evaluation and may even need to be removed surgically.
2. Presence of septations and internal echoes suggests presence of infectious matter, or blood.
Even in the second scenario, if you were my patient I would worry only if the cyst size is big. If it is a small cyst, then a course of antibiotics like doxycycline and metronidazole are the first help to control infection and decrease symptoms.
The size of the ovary is absolutely normal, so if it is a small cyst, take an antibiotic course and repeat the scan after 3 months.