Dull hearing. Steady high-pitched buzz in ear after practicing shooting. Do I need to check it up?

Hi, I have a steady high pitched buzz in my ears three days after target practicing at an outdoor shooting range. The back of my head also feels strange, as if there is an extra level of padding between my skull and brain if that makes any sense. My hearing is a bit dull though some sounds seem to be more high pitched than usual. I ve experienced this kind of ringing after shooting before but never for 3 straight days. Also I feel I should mention that I m not a frequent shooter that has done damage over long periods of time leading up to this. I was going to go to see a doctor today but I don t have health insurance and feel that I may get better soon. Could you please tell me if I should go get checked out immediately or if waiting a few more days might bring my hearing back to normal. Thank You.
Asked On : Fri, 20 Jul 2012
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tinnitus is the perception of sound in the ear when none is present. Different sounds can occur but buzzing is one of them.

There are different possible causes but exposure to loud noises such as the shooting is one of them.

The prognosis varies, it can resolve on its own, this can take up to a few months in some cases or it can be associated with permanent changes.

You should consider visiting an ENT doctor for assessment.

I hope this helps