Dull chest pain on drinking water. Acid reflux or GERD? Will a little vineagar in water help?

I have recently started having a dull pain in my chest which only occurs when drinking water (I experimented a little, and I know that's bad). I looked up online and learned that this may be acid reflux, but I have never had a case of this before. I don't think I have acid reflux or GERD, but is this something I should just wait to pass, or is there something that can be done about it? I read that drinking a little vinegar in water will help, but I'd like to hear from a doctor.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom can be caused by acid reflux diseases (called GERD) indeed. However other stomach or esophagus diseases can also give such symptoms. It can be peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation, esophagus inflammation or even stomach or esophageal cancer. That is why it is very important to not neglect such symptoms and have it checked with some tests.
I suggest you to visit you doctor, have abdominal ultrasound, blood work and gastroscopy performed. During this test Helicobacter Pylori infection of the stomach will be also checked. If present should be treated with antibiotics.
In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, chocolate, fruit juices.

Hope this will help.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava's  Response
drinking water on empty stomach especially in the morning hours may cause some pain like symptom which may not be pathological. But if after every glass of water you experience discomfort and that too in chest region, it may be something which may need looking into.Generally it happens in oesophageal disease when it is inflammed or narrowed due to reflux of acid or some other reasons. Solids are swallowed easily but liquids cause some discomfort.
You need to undergo upper GI tract endoscopy by a gastro specialist who will visualize directly your food passage from food -pipe(esophagus to stomach and even duodenum and upper small intestine(jejunum).He might order for urease test for fluid extracted from stomach
Another test is Xray of stomach after barium swallow taken soon after ingesting the barium.
So you must consult.

In meantime try omeprazole 20 mg empty stomach in the morning for 7 days, and wait and see the result.If it subsides pain, you may seek help later on if needed
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Is it only water? Not other fluids?
Vinegar is unlikely to help
You need an endoscopy to look at your oesophagus... it could be a foreign body stuck there or Oesophagitis...that is the only way to diagnose...
It may pass.. but better to see than guess

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck