Due for periods, HPT shows negative. Should you have enough hormone to get a positive result?

Hello, I ve a question about possible pregnancy. My period, which is usually regular, is five days late. I have other symptoms, but two HPTs have shown negative. Ive read alot about there not being enough hormone to register a positive on a test.Could this be the case? Otherwise I m sure I ll just have to wait until I either have a period or a positive test. Would you agree or can I ask my dr to test for me?
Asked On : Tue, 12 Mar 2013