Due date for pregnancy and date post genital scan are different. What is the cause of difference?

Hi my name is Caroline, my due date is sept 18th, which makes me 28 weeks pregnant now, from my 1st early pregnancy scan at the hospital that I will be having my baby delivered ......?? Myself and my partner went for a private genital scan yesterday and have been told that I should be exactly 26 weeks pregnant now, instead of 28 (which now leaves my due date at 1st-3rd of Oct). Can the hospital make a mistake on my due date ???? ( ,)
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012