Dryness in knuckles, redness, inflammation, peeling off skin. Tried ointments. What can help?

hi... a few weeks ago i noticed a dry area on the top knuckle of my ring finger on my right hand. it has slowly got worse and worse and the area is red and slightly inflammed. the skin seems to eventually peel off it in small flakes. i have tried using crams from the pharmacy that they recommended but it hasn't worked so far. it also seems to be slowly spreading towards my hand and the skin there is getting redder.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013