Dry skin on eyelids, inflamed, itchy, swollen. Benadryl and cortisone cream correct?

i m a 33 year old female and I m not sure if I have eyelid dermatitis or what it exactly it is. It started 2 days ago with just some dry skin on my eyelids and it got progressively worse that I had to remove my eye makeup early yesterday. Since then (not wearing anything on my eyelids) it got inflamed, itchy and very dry. Now my eyelids are swollen. I went to the pharmacy and was told it looked like an allergic reaction and bought Benadryl to take orally as well as some cortisone cream. Is this the correct treatment? I m not sure what caused it. I have not used any new makeup, facial cleanser, shampoo, etc. on my face/eyes, etc.
Asked On : Thu, 7 Jun 2012